Thursday 28 February 2013

My Premiership predictions

Chelsea vs. West Brom

I think in many ways, Rafa was setting himself up to be sacked when he made those comments on Wednesday night, complaining about the 'interim' tag and having a go at the fans. I think there was more than a hint of truth in what he was saying, yet a manager that's trying to be successful at a club would have kept their toes well in line. It hasn't surprised me at all that he's leaving at the end of the season, but given the lack of a stable environment, I think Chelsea's results won't improve until then.

West Brom seem to be having a brief resurgence of their early season form, having won their last two matches, kicked off by winning 2-0 at Anfield a couple of weeks ago. I think the Baggies, with their recent lift in performances, have the ability to make it very difficult for Chelsea at what could be an uncomfortable atmosphere inside Stamford Bridge. I predict a tight game, and wouldn't be overly surprised if West Brom could pick up something, but I'll say Chelsea to scrape a 1-0 win.

Del's prediction: 2-1

Everton vs. Reading

A couple of weeks ago, I felt that Reading had it within themselves to stay up because of their team spirit- although I must say it wasn't an outright prediction! Ever since then, they've lost their last two games - and in both of them you'd have given them a good chance of getting a result - which Brian McDermott will have been disappointed with. Now, all of a sudden, the odds are back against them, and their next 3 away trips are to Goodison Park, the Emirates and Old Trafford! They've got their work cut out, but I've written them down and out before and been proved wrong. The whole relegation picture can change in a weekend.

Everton's loss at Norwich means I'm prepared to declare the Champions League spots as between the London clubs. I think Everton's main problem is that they've not got a recognisable goal threat, and I think Fellaini wants to go in the summer, so I doubt he'll be as effective in the second half of the campaign. They can still finish above Liverpool for a second successive season though, which would represent a big step in power switch in Liverpool. I think Everton will beat Reading 2-1.

Del's prediction: 1-1

Man Utd vs. Norwich

It'll be interesting to see who Ferguson plays for this. With United 12pts clear, having probably more than half an eye on the game against Madrid on Tuesday, I can see him rotating the squad. I would certainly want to rest the likes of Robin van Persie and one of Vidic and Ferdinand.

You might argue that Norwich could exploit this, but I genuinely don't think anything is a distraction for Manchester United. The strength in depth in that squad is powerful. For the first half of the season, United were always the 'comeback kings', but recently they've developed a different approach to their games, one of efficiency and industrialism. They've tightened up at the back lately, and like against Everton and QPR, they've scored the first goal and kept control of the game. 

I reckon they'll score a couple of goals in the first half, to give them a second period used purely as preparation for the Madrid match, when Ferguson can substitute more of his better players to keep them fresh. United will put Norwich away winning comfortably, but not boastfully, 2-0.

Del's prediction: 3-0

Southampton vs. QPR

QPR just couldn't handle Swansea's high pressing game and attacking football a few weeks ago, which leads me to think they won't be able to handle Southampton, who play with a similar style. Pochettino has done what he's had to have done, which is hit the ground running, but you'd have to give Saints fans a special mention for not 'booing' him when he took over, like Chelsea fans did with Benitez.

Despite the fact that QPR have got a decent defensive record, I've got a feeling Southampton will end up thrashing them. The Rs just aren't playing in an effective system at the moment, and I can't see a way back to survival for them. 4-0.

Del's prediction: 0-1

Stoke vs. West Ham

I can't see too many goals in this one. Apparently, Stoke are slightly more adventurous at home,  and they're a bit above the Hammers in the table, so maybe they can grind out a result. I do think that both teams' target men - Peter Crouch and Andy Carroll - will be completely marked out of the game by tall defences. I'm going to go 1-0 Stoke.

Del's prediction: 0-2

Sunderland vs. Fulham

Sunderland have lost their last 3 games and are beginning to head, perhaps closer than they would like, to the drop zone. The thing that reassures me about Sunderland's position though, is that they have got some high quality players in their team and have a strong defensive record. In fact, they've got a better home 'goals against' record than Manchester United. I do think they'll be okay. I'm going to back them to end their run of defeats by beating Fulham, who have picked up some points recently to go midtable, but I would argue that the Cottagers don't travel well and that they're in no relegation danger whatsoever, therefore won't need the win as much. 2-1.

Del's prediction: 0-2

Swansea vs. Newcastle

I wonder if Swansea could suffer from a hangover after winning the Carling Cup. It has often happened in the past when a midtable team wins the Carling Cup, that they struggle in the match afterwards, because the team has drunk too much champagne.

Newcastle's new French players have bedded in very quickly and should keep them out of trouble this season. I think they'll give a lot of energy closing down, particularly Sissoko, and I think they might disrupt Swansea's rythym. 0-2 Toon.

Del's prediction: 1-0

Wigan v Liverpool

I can see Wigan pulling off the win here. They thumped Reading 3-0, on their own turf, and before that won 4-1 at Huddersfield. Those sorts of results rarely prove to be one-offs, so I think they'll have the momentum to get all 3pts.

Liverpool got knocked out of the Europa League last Thursday which is probably a good thing for them- I really can't see how that competition benefits teams. At least now they have a chance to develop some consistency in their league form, but I just have a feeling Wigan will take the points here. 2-1

Del's prediction: 0-2

Tottenham v Arsenal

I'm having a very difficult time calling this. My immediate reaction to the game was that I didn't think Arsenal have the ability to handle Bale, so I decided on 2-0 Tottenham. But since then, I've begun to think that Arsenal do tend to raise their game for the North London derby. I also think they need the points to get into 4th which, with Chelsea's demise, is within their grasp so that'll be an incentive.

Then again Tottenham, for now at least, possess the best player in the Premiership in Gareth Bale. He is a sensational player, and with him on the pitch, Spurs will always have a chance of scoring goals. I don't really see an obvious world-class player at Arsenal, but it would be so typical of them to win at White Hart Lane after the few weeks Wenger has had. I'm going to go with my gut and say 2-3 Arsenal, in an enthralling match.

Del's prediction: 1-3

Aston Villa v Man City

A result against Man City would be an important confidence booster for the Villa going into two crucial games against the Premiership's bottom two clubs, Reading and QPR. Recent performances suggest they are capable of getting something here, it was only sloppy defending that denied them all 3pts against Everton, they beat West Ham and conceded another late goal last week, to drop a valuable point at Arsenal. They're only just inside the drop zone and it's not as if they're rolling over.

Mancini will need to pick up his men to keep their season going. They've given away the title that's for sure, so with little to play for, it'll be a test of Mancini's motivating skills to keep his team going. I might actually predict a draw for this, I think Villa will battle hard for a point. 0-0.

Del's prediction: 1-4


No comments:

Post a Comment