Friday 1 February 2013

Premiership predictions- 01/02/13

Hello folks, unfortunately no-one has sent me their predictions this week, but I thought I'd have a crack at the games anyway, just for the hell of it. Let's see what we got...


QPR v Norwich
What Harry Redknapp has done at QPR is ludicrous, because he's shown little consideration for the long-term financial wellbeing of his club, given that they are currently bottom. Even if QPR can stay up, Harry will be regarded as a hero and then leave, but the Samba deal alone cost them £30 million in total, I'd be surprised if Fernandes has that kind of money. It means it's win or bust for them on Saturday, but their defence is improving and Norwich don't score many, so I'll say they can nick a 1-0 win. Whether it'll be enough to eventually save the club, remains to be seen.

Arsenal v Stoke
If this game was being played at the Britannia it would be harder for me to call, but it's a bigger pitch at the Emirates, that will suit Arsenal's brains more than Stoke's brawn. Stoke just don't win games on the road, in the end they were lucky to get a point against Wigan the other night and I'd fancy the Gunners to find their way through eventually. 2-0.

Everton v Aston Villa
I've given Villa the benefit of the doubt in recent weeks, but now I think they're in masses of trouble. I still think that if Vlaar can get back to his old self and if Lambert can find a way to get Benteke and Bent playing together, then they may have a chance. I know Lambert doesn't like egos such as Bent but in a relegation battle, you have to gamble with players in your team who can score goals- now is the time to be pragmatic, not picky. I really want to see Jelavic back in amongst the goals again for Everton, because he's a fantastic poacher when in form but he's gone off the boil a little lately, Anichebe has played more games. This is a good opportunity for him to break his scoring duck, because with no experience added to it in January, this Villa defence looks extremely vulnerable at the moment and I'm struggling to see that changing. 2-0.

Newcastle v Chelsea
I'm tipping Newcastle to win this. Their new French connections will rejuvenate the side, and Moussa Sissoko is a very energetic midfielder which is exactly what Newcastle need. Energetic is the last word I'd use to describe Chelsea at the moment, because they're just coming to the end of a very congested fixture schedule. They threw away 2 points at Reading on Wednesday, but I think some credit needs to go to Benitez for keeping their results on track and keeping them 3rd in pretty tough circumstances, with the discontent of the Chelsea supporters. Controversially, 1-0 Newcastle.

Reading v Sunderland
I may have to hold my hands up with Reading. In the first few weeks I thought they'd stay up, over Christmas time I had them down as dead and buried but remarkably, they're now out of the relegation zone on goal difference. And that's with some interesting home games coming up. My opinion on them will probably change at some point, and they'll inevitably fall in and out of the drop-zone between now and the end of the season, but at the moment their team spirit leads me to think they'll stay up. Sunderland have had a few good results and are safe now as far as I'm concerned, so I think this is a good opportunity for Reading to get a win and lengthen their terrific run of winter form. 2-0.

West Ham v Swansea
I've spent a long time thinking about this one, because these are two teams who play different styles of football and I'm unsure as to how they'll interact. Swansea are playing with a lot of confidence and they had no problems against Stoke (who play in a similarly physical style to West Ham) would they be able to out-pass the Hammers? But then I also think that the Hammers do need the win more than Swansea, they are at home, so maybe they can grind out a result. The conclusion I've come to is a goalless draw, because Carlton Cole provides little attacking threat, but West Ham are normally quite hard to break down, and both teams play with effectively 5 in the middle, so there may not be too many chances.

Wigan v Southampton
Despite only picking up 1 point from a possible 6, that's a decent start for Pochettino, especially playing against Everton and United- in both games they put in encouraging performances. I hope the fans get behind him now. Wigan battled back for a point at Stoke, but I've got a feeling they'll really struggle in this game. They have an ever-diminishing squad and will be without key man Arouna Kone, who's at the African Cup of nations. I expect Southampton will attack and press high up, I'm not sure whether Wigan's 3-man defence will cope with that. 0-2.

Fulham v Man Utd
Fulham got an important win over West Ham the other night, but I don't give them a chance against United. Their defence is suspect to say the least, although they have just recruited Urby Emmanuelson on loan from Milan, but I just don't think that'll be enough. United's defence isn't perfect and Berbatov creates a lot, which suggests Fulham could get on the scoresheet, but I think Man U will score a couple of goals in the first half and end up controlling the match. If so, that may restrict the time Berbatov will have on the ball, so it could be an easy evening for United. 0-3.

West Brom v Tottenham
With West Brom already in quite poor form, all of the controversy surrounding Odemwingie will merely be a catalyst for Tottenham's win, rather than a decider of it. I think with a player of Bale's calibre in their side, Spurs can always score goals and I can see the Welsh wizard picking West Brom apart on Sunday. I'm going as far as 0-4.

Man City v Liverpool
The absence of Kompany will be a very big blow for City. Without him, I could really see them struggling to cope with this nicely developing Sturridge-Suarez partnership, because Nastasic doesn't have enough experience in my opinion. Then again, Liverpool haven't got the greatest of defences and Aguero-Tevez is at least as an effective a partnership, so I could foresee a reasonably entertaining game. 2-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment