Monday 26 November 2012

The Scores- 26/11/12

Partly because I didn't get a chance to see all of the matches on Match of the Day and MOTD2, partly due to time constraints (and also because there were a lot of 0-0s) I've decided to just do a round-up of 5 of the biggest games on this weekend. There were four of us predicting the scores, let's have a look to see how we got on:

Sunderland 2-4 West Brom
I said: 2-1, +0pts
Del said: 0-1, +1pt
Rami said: 1-0, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 2-1, +0pts

An brilliant win for West Brom that sees them go 5pts clear in the 'race' for Champions League qualification. It's remarkable. A lot of people, myself included, thought West Brom's honeymoon period must come to an end at some point; as a matter of principle more than anything else, because it's so rare for a team of West Brom's calibre to be in the top four for longer than 10 games. By the looks of things, what they've done so well is keeping their feet on the ground, focusing and working on every single game without letting themselves get carried away. I know I keep saying it, but massive credit has to go to Steve Clarke for that. Manager of the season so far, for me. Has to be.
 
 
Man Utd 3-1 QPR
I said: 5-0, +1pt
Del said: 2-0, +1pt
Rami said: 5-1, +1pt
Predicts Pro said: 4-0, +1pt

The Rs put in a credible performance for the first 60 minutes at Old Trafford and there's a fair bit from this showing that Harry can be encouraged by. To get anything from United though, they would have needed to have been on their guard for the whole match and two sloppy goals conceded from set pieces with 25 minutes to go lost them the opportunity to get a result. Redknapp needs to get instant points now. QPR sit bottom of the table, 7pts away from safety and have 3 massive games coming up against Sunderland, Aston Villa and Wigan. If 'Appy Harry can inspire the team to two wins from those matches then they'll be in with a shout, because there's still a long way to go in the season, but if the win doesn't come then I just can't see QPR staying up.
 
 
Southampton 2-0 Newcastle
I said: 3-0, +1pt
Del said: 0-2, +0pts
Rami said: 2-1, +1pt
Predicts Pro said: 2-1, +1pt

I did have a very strong incling before the game that Southampton would win and to be honest, I'm delighted for them. Even when they lost 6-1 at Arsenal and 4-1 at West Ham earlier on in the season, I still had a feeling they could get out of the relegation zone because they do have a fantastic ability to create chances, they can scare a lot of teams plus Ramirez looks an absolutely top-draw player. It was no less than what the club deserves from their support for Adkins, and I'm going to predict they'll stay up this season.
 
 
Tottenham 3-1 West Ham
I said: 1-1, +0pts
Del said: 4-2, +1pt
Rami said: 2-0, +1pt
Predicts Pro said: 2-1, +1pt

A brilliant day for Tottenham. I was worried the team had lost it's respect for Villas-Boas but they got a comfortable win over their rivals, and played exceptionally well. I had my doubts about Clint Dempsey signing, mainly because of his age and would have preferred to have seen Moutinho to replace Modric, but he's looking like a real stringfellow in that Totteham team. His link-up play was brilliant and that dinked through ball for Bale's goal was fantastic, but after the 5-2 Spurs badly needed that win.
 
 
Chelsea 0-0 Man City
I said: 1-3, +0pts
Del said: 2-3, +0pts
Rami said: 1-2, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 2-2, +1pt
 
I really don't know why Benitez took the job. It's perfectly clear Chelsea fans don't like him, I'm not sure why any manager would want to work under any manager who is as trigger-happy as Abramovich is- I just think his tenure at Chelsea has the makings of a complete disaster and can't see him lasting there for longer than a few months.
 
I watched the game, and the Chelsea fans clearly weren't happy about having Rafa in charge. Some sections of the fans were chanting 'Rafa out', with signs displaying that kind of message, there was a round of applause for di Matteo on 16 (his shirt number) minutes, whilst others weren't supporting the team wholeheartedly, more reserving judgement. There was a very frosty atmosphere, and on another day Man City could easily have been more clinical and scored a couple of goals to win it. I don't believe a word of Benitez afterwards saying "I didn't hear the chants" He must have known, and I think he's in for a torrid time.
 
 
Everton 1-1 Norwich
I said: 0-1, +0pts
Del said: 3-1, +0pts
Rami said: 2-0, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 1-0, +0pts

Stoke 1-0 Fulham
I said: 1-1, +0pts
Del said: 2-0, +1pt
Rami said: 1-1, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 1-0, +3pts

Wigan 3-2 Reading
I said: 2-2, +0pts
Del said: 2-1, +1pt
Rami said: 1-1, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 1-1, +0pts

Aston Villa 0-0 Arsenal
I said: 0-3, +0pts
Del said: 1-2, +0pts
Rami said: 1-3, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 0-2, +0pts

Swansea 0-0 Liverpool
I said: 1-2, +0pts
Del said: 2-0, +0pts
Rami said: 1-2, +0pts
Predicts Pro said: 1-2, +0pts

Predicts Pro
Correct results- 4
Perfect scorelines- 1, Stoke 1-0 Fulham
Points- 7
 
Del
Correct results- 5
Perfect scorelines- 0
Points- 5
 
Rami
Correct results- 3
Perfect scorelines- 0
Points- 3
 
Me
Correct results- 2
Perfect scorelines- 0
Points- 2
 
 
Congratulations to 'Predictions Pro' who is this week's prediction master, by name and nature, and is the only one of us to guess a perfect scoreline. Well done to Del, who finished runner up, Rami came 3rd and I'm last.
 
Not good. I need to sort my predictions out for next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment