Monday 15 October 2012

Poland vs. England and the other British teams world cup qualifying games

Must admit, was hoping to come up with a slightly snazzier title than that but there we go. By the time you are reading this, this article has already been published so its too late to change. Damn.
 
Let's be honest... there weren't any real surprises about the San Marino game, the only one being we might have wanted to have won by a more commanding scoreline than 5-0. It sounds quite arrogant saying: 'we should have won by more than 5-0', I'm not sure if the San Marino team will have opened the champagne bottles afterwards to celebrate keeping it only 5-0, but thought we might have scored at least 6 or 7 given the Sammarinese's 11-0 defeat to Holland.
 
Anyway, that'll do for now at least as the attention turns to the National Stadium in Warsaw (no, not Walsall) on Tuesday night. Here are my thoughts on the game:
 
Poland vs. England
It'll certainly be a closer game than the one on Friday but I'm still going to back England to win it. Robert Lewandowski is my only real worry about this Poland team, other than that, I'd be pretty confident England can deal with their attack. Jermain Defoe coming into the team will be a boost because he is a natural finisher so I'm going to back him to grab a goal, to be fair we've got a lot of attacking options so I think whoever Hodgson decides to play will take their chance to prove their worth to the team. I'm saying England will win this game 2-0 to put some daylight between themselves and the rest of the group, and make the rest of their qualifying campaign a bit of a foregone conclusion.
 
Belgium vs. Scotland
I'm afraid I can't see a route to Rio for Scotland now after their defeat to the Welsh. You've got to think that if they can't beat the 'lesser' teams in their group, like Macedonia and Wales, how can they expect to beat Belgium- a side with the likes of Kompany, Fellaini and Hazard in their team? Craig Levein's loyalty to this 4-5-1 formation hasn't done Scotland any favours because they haven't been scoring enough goals. This game is definately his last throw of the dice so I think he should start with Fletcher and Miller up front, but I think he's played his last card before this anyway. 3-0 to the Belgians.
 
Croatia vs. Wales
The Welsh are now back from the dead and Gareth Bale's late brace against Scotland will have at least given them hope, after two disappointing opening defeats. Wales still need something from this game though, probably a win, but with the likes of Manzukic, Modric and  Jelavic in the Croatia team, they will always be up against it. I'm going to say Croatia will edge this one, I'm sure Wales will make a fight of it but I think the Croats will score a late goal to secure a hard-fought 1-0 win and all-but end Welsh hopes of qualifying.

Faroe Islands vs. Ireland
Ireland are caught in a Trap, and he can't walk out- he'd be lonesome tonight. Think my Irish football-related Elvis jokes are over with. I've been disappointed with what I've seen from Ireland under the Italian so far, before Euro 2012 I thought the general consensus was thatTrappattoni had tightened up their defence significantly, but they conceded too many cheap goals. I also think they might have been somewhat disappointed with the manner in which they lost 6-1 to Germany, especially in Dublin. I recall the Faroe Islands nearly drew with Sweden and I think they'll make it a tight game, given the precarious situation Ireland are in at the top I'll go for a 0-0 draw. The Irish team and the IRA need a little less conversation and a little more action.

Portugal vs. N. Ireland
I must admit I haven't been following Group F much lately so I don't know who's actually played each other yet but by the looks of things Russia and Portugal are running away with it. I've got to go for a big Portugal win here; the quality in these respective teams simply isn't the same and it will take another moment of divine power from Ronaldo to open the gates and I'm sure the goals will eventually flood in. 4-0 to A Seleccao, with CR7 to get a brace.

That's your lot for now, in preparation for what promises to be a telling night: in terms of the fortunes of Scotland and Wales's qualifying campaigns, the comfortability of England's seemingly inevitable qualification and Trappattoni's future as Ireland manager.

Can't wait to watch, and even a fool such as I wouldn't miss it. Damn I'm back on Elvis puns...

Gabriel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment