Saturday 13 October 2012

England 5-0 San Marino, Rooney's new role and Strictly Come Dancing

Hi scorers
 
So I was bit gutted there was no football on this afternoon- Saturday evening just hasn’t felt the same. I’d had to resort to watching Strictly Come Dancing with my mum; it’s actually grown on me a bit, love seeing Bruno Taniolli’s rather animated assessment of the acts. He reminds me a bit of the fish character off American Dad for some reason. I’ve got a feeling Flavia and that guy from Hackney will win it from the bits I saw.
 
Anyway, ‘Strictly’ speaking I’m not supposed to talk about dancing shows here.
 
Unfortunately I only caught the England game on TV last night just after Rooney scored England’s third, although I heard from someone that it was 0-0 with half an hour gone which was surprising. But we were always gonna win, really.
From what I saw for most of the second half, on the highlights, and from what the pundits said, San Marino were quite happy to sit back, have all their players behind the ball, and defend. In some ways I can understand why, because they had lost all their last 45 matches, their players do take up other part-time jobs alongside their football and I think they did quite well, in some respects, to keep it down to 5-0 when they lost 11 to Holland recently.
 
Having said that, I did hope that San Marino might have made the game more interesting by going for it a bit. They didn’t really have anything to lose and it was a rare spectacle for their players to enjoy, seems a shame they spent it by just letting us have the ball and damage limitating. If I was in the San Marino team, thank god I’m not, but I’d have wanted to really press England, get in their faces and try to keep possession to frustrate them. That would have made the game interesting but you can’t imagine that the Sammarinese will have gone into the game having all that much confidence.
Whilst we’re on the subject of the England game, I’d like to pootle into the subject of Rooney’s new deeper role in midfield. At Manchester United, the arrival of Robin van Persie has meant Rooney has had to move deeper to make way for him, Hernandez and Welbeck. Whilst I agree in some circumstances his deeper midfield role suits him, it should be at the expense of another poacher striker rather than another central midfielder.
 
 
Last season, pre-Scholes-call-back, Ferguson tried out the potential long-term midfield partnership of Anderson and Cleverley. Anderson tasked with bullishly chasing the ball, always being involved where the action is and trying to win the ball for the team, Tom Cleverley given the role of linking up play and dictating tempo. Neither of these players naturally work as a holding midfielder and so whilst they were capable of putting the opposition under pressure and creating chances, they did look vulnerable to counter-attacks and that put quite a burden on their defence.
 
I’d be slightly worried for United that if Rooney, who is used to playing as a second striker, was employed as a central midfielder then they wouldn’t address their obvious main problem which is a lack of protection for the defence in my opinion. In recent matches Ferguson has played Carrick and Scholes in midfield, great passers, which works against the lower teams when they see more of the ball and can control the tempo, but it backfired against an energetic Tottenham team a few weeks ago because they didn’t have the legs- the implementation of Rooney in midfield might inject them with some tenacity. Having said that, I still think a better balance would be keep Rooney in the hole role and sacrifice one “passer” midfielder i.e. Scholes or Carrick, for one “energy” midfielder i.e. Anderson or Cleverley to give them some more impetus. Having both Cleverley and Anderson in the centre of the park though, means they cover enough ground but lack that player who can help keep the shape of the team, can see a pass, set the tempo and always have time on the ball. They need a balance I think.
For me, Ferguson is in the process of shaping a pretty strong midfield once they get that balance right. A combination of Carrick and Cleverley/Anderson, with Scholes maybe coming on later, would be good in conjunction with Rooney dropping deep to link-up the play in midfield, seeing a lot of the ball, and operating in the channels where he will have more of, and time on, the ball. With Rooney bossing the game, he can spread the play as United have a lot of quality options out wide in Kagawa, Young, Nani and Valencia. If they can combine that midfield, with a bolstered defence in January and van Persie’s goals, I’d back Manchester United to actually catch Chelsea in the title race.
 
I’ve sort of drifted in from talking about the England game to talking about the Manchester United team, I don’t know why but I do feel a bit of a connection to the red devils for some reason. Maybe it’s partly because of their policy with bringing through young players - as opposed to Chelsea and Man City’s success purely based on having a mega-rich chairman - but it’s not like they’ve not splashed the cash on the likes Ferdinand, Veron, Rooney and Berbatov in the last 10 years. I’ve also got a cousin from France who supports them and I took him to watch them play City in the FA Cup just under a year ago, I’ve taken to them a bit ever since. Although Alex Ferguson’s lack of sportsmanship does annoy me at times. I don’t know what it is really.
 
Anyway, thankfully we've now just got a week to go until the big Premiership fixtures next weekend, which I'll have written a preview article for by Thursday night. As a reminder, these games are:
 
Tottenham v Chelsea
Fulham v Aston Villa
Liverpool v Reading
Man Utd v Stoke
Swansea v Wigan
West Brom v Man City
West Ham v Southampton
Norwich v Arsenal
Sunderland v Newcastle
QPR v Everton
 
Some tasty-looking games there. You can send me your predictions for them, and maybe a brief comment on the game, by emailling me at sutton.thescore@gmail.com
and I'll put your predictions in.
 
But for now, as we always say on 'the Score'... keep scoring!
 
Cheers,
Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment